Saturday, March 20, 2010

I'm back in Greensboro for a so-called break in the semester. I say so-called because what it really means is that I get to take three days to not think about working, which means that I will probably spend three days trying unsuccessfully not to be writing the paper in my head that is due right after break, or a thesis chapter, or designing the bizarre arts and crafts project for my seminar (Seriously?). These are the times that I am exposed for the work obsessed, compulsive, and unhealthy individual that school has made me.

Just sitting here, waiting for laundry to dry, I am still compulsively writing pointless e-mails about things that no-one-but-me will care about until after the break is over. It's enough to make me hyperventilate. I'm even WRITING about work, even though it is a balmy 75 degrees in Greensboro, and sunny, and I have plenty of time to do the things that I need to do. I wish someone was here to slap my face and tell me: "Shut the fuck up, Paul! You have tons of time and you need to calm down, you ass!" Which, like the endless cycle of work I'm caught up in, simply deepens my guilt because I'm the one who has to do it! Nice.

Now, the good parts are these: 1) I'll be in a cabin with some friends for the weekend, 2) said cabin has a hot tub (hopefully without a time machine), 3) I'll have an entirely new field of restaurants to tell you about after its over, which makes both of us happy! and 4) I'm bringing my favorite local beer. All of this is great, and may serve to take my mind off of things for a little while. Here's hoping.


No comments:

Post a Comment