Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Bistro 5 and Other News...

I went to Bistro 5 for my birthday, and I can't believe or understand how busy I've been that I haven't posted anything about the experience yet. I have some trouble remembering now what I ate, but suffice it to say that it was fabulous, and we had excellent service. Actually, it won't even matter at this point what dishes I got, because the whole menu has changed by now. My advice is that you go. Go right now. What you'll get is delicious and seasonal Northern Italian food, and a varied wine list full of rarities. Who would have thought that you could find decent food in West Medford?

In other news, this past weekend I attended the Mid-America Theatre Conference in Cleveland, Ohio. Snooze, right? Cleveland...what a downer. What do I do in cities where there's nothing to do? I eat and drink copiously! My suggestion is that you hit Michael Symon's restaurant (of Iron Chef America fame) Lolita. This bistro-esque place has a nicely put-together (if somewhat limited) wine list, good food, and is less pricey than its big sister Lola. This place has the panache of an excellent restaurant, but still feels like it belongs in the neghborhood. I had roasted shrimp, roasted dates with bacon, and roasted beets (small appetizer plates we all shared). This was followed by a delectable (and appropriately cooked) pork-chop with mascarpone polenta. Simple, unpretentious, and tasty. A little loud, but I forgive them for the Friday night crowd.

Now, I've been asked several times what is so frugal about eating at these nice restaurants? Now is the time to give you a few tips.

First of all, most nice restaurants will allow you to do what's called a 'chef's tasting,' which usually involves a fixed price for three-four courses of the chef's choosing. Not only is this a great way to get to know a chef's food, but it is an affordable venture, more so than simply ordering off the menu. Also, you have the added benefit of being surprised by the food that comes out. If you're not picky, this is the way to go.

Another thing you can do is to check if the restaurant has a regular fixed price menu. Many restaurants do, if only for a certain time at night. Sometimes restaurants will run specials during certain seasons. In Boston, restaurant week approaches (March 14-19, 21-26). During these dates, a very affordable fixed price menu is available at many restaurants in the metro area. This is a great time to have culinary experiences that you may not otherwise be able to afford.

Also, bring your own wine. I rarely ever (unless I'm feeling extravagant) buy wine at the restaurant. Restaurants make much of their money from the alcohol they sell, and they do this with markups from 30-50% or even higher. I know that I can choose a better bottle of wine for less money, pay the corking fee at the restaurant (usually $5-$10), and still come out far ahead of the restaurant's wine list. If you're worried about your wine going with your food, don't be. Instead, go online and look at the menu. Many of the best restaurants showcase their food online, so you can get a sense of what you'll be eating. If you're having a tasting, many restaurants will give you a 4-5 oz pour with each course for a few bucks more. Or don't worry about it. After all, in three-four courses, the wine you chose will probably go with something!

Now, choosing the wine at the wine shop can be a little daunting if you don't know your way around. Thankfully, I've already written a brief primer on tasting and buying wine. I include some concise directions about grabbing that great bottle...

In other VERY important news, Lady Gaga's new video Telephone will be coming out tomorrow, and I am very excited. I'd like to talk more about her soon, but you have plenty to think about now, and I have a lot of eating to do!


No comments:

Post a Comment