Thursday, February 10, 2011

Down the Rabbit Hole...

Now that I have access to better food more of the time, I've been cooking a lot more than I did last semester. This has been great for me, but the bigger problem now is storage. Last night, I had pasta with sundried tomato pesto and kale that I sauteed with garlic, olive oil, and a little red wine. This was delicious, but I haven't finished off the roasted vegetables from last week, so I've got seriously limited space. In some ways, you'd think this would give me the motivation to finish more of my leftovers more quickly - but who wants to eat the same thing every night? So, I think it might be time to invest in some serious tupperware, and maybe even some corning ware - really anything I can use to freeze food for later. Right now, the lightweight Glad-ware just isn't cutting it. First of all, it is all too small. Secondly, it just doesn't keep out the freezer-burn over long term storage. 


Until recently, I lacked a car where I could get to important places to buy things like, say, tupperware. Now I have one, and I plan on heading to Target the first chance I get and buying all the things that, for some reason, I could never bring myself to purchase online. Additionally, I realized while chopping garlic last night that my knives are getting quite dull. I have a nice 10 inch Wusthof chef's knife that is my pride and joy, and the other day I detected a nick in it. That's just unacceptable. I've heard tell that there's a store around here where they will sharpen your knives for a small fee, and I plan on availing myself of this soon. When I do, I'll post the name of it on here, because there is nothing more annoying (or dangerous) to have in your kitchen than a dull knife. 


Oh, so many things are now accessible to me that are nowhere near bus or T stations! Besides that, my car is perfect for a city like Boston - a small, blue Toyota Scion Xa that looks a little like a smart car if it was all grown up. It has four doors and a nice hatchback. It was love at first sight. Only I have to rename him now. My last car was named Toulouse (after the little Parisian painter Toulouse-Lautrec), but surely this car has a totally different personality. We'll have to see how he feels after driving him a few weeks (he's definitely a 'he' though). Tomorrow, I need to convert my license to MA (goodbye NC, I guess you've finally got to go...) and confirm my status as a New Englander. This will feel a little weird, especially because I spent years claiming that I would never transfer my license, and also that I never wanted the hassles of having a car here. So it goes. 


Thinking about change again, I remember that last semester I kept saying I didn't have time to cook. A friend of mine (you know who you are) said to me at one point that you have time for what you want to have time for. That is totally true. People make time for the familiar and the habitual because they don't want to do anything new. Because the adjustment always seems harder than it really is. Turns out, I was no different. Forcing myself to break out the cutting board, the knives, and the pans in the evening...is my time. I can just concentrate on making something delicious and drink a glass of wine. After that, I can get down to business. But that time is my time, and damn it, no amount of reading, or e-mail, or whatever, is going to take that away from me. 


I bid you peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment