Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Could I get a drum-roll please? . . . . . . . . . . . I'm done with semester three! Am I anxious about the papers I've turned in? Yes. Am I afraid that I might be full of, in a word, bull? Yes. However, I don't need to be concerned about that anymore, 'cause its over. Sort of.

Really, the work never ends. Now is the time to construct the syllabus for next semester's class (or two classes, not sure yet). For those of you gasping in horror at the implications of that statement, let me assure you that, yes, they are going to let me teach students BY MYSELF. Sound like a terrible idea? Well, it might be. Only next semester will tell. In fact, I'm looking for some ideas. Here's my class description (at least, on the original application) . If you have readings to suggest, let me know:

Historical Narratives: Performance and Identity in the Early-modern and Post-modern World.

How does history inform the present? The future? What is its value, and how do we construct it? In this course we will examine the nature of history as narrative through the lens of early-modern and post-modern constructs of identity, popular culture, performance, and literature. Through these texts, the course will seek to use the seemingly distant past as a means for interrogating and understanding the present. Our examination will range from Deleuze and Guattari's theories of the 'post-human' body to The Duchess of Malfi, from Judith Butler to The Tudors. In each instance, we will seek to critically analyze how bodies, texts, and performances of the past haunt the present, as well as how they can be considered, in the words of Umberto Eco, as 'open works' for interpretation.

So, history and performance are big themes here. Anyway, if you have any ideas, just post 'em!
The other class is Introduction to Acting. I have no idea what I'm doing for that one, yet, if you have ideas. Possibly, I'll just spend each class making them pretend that they're Jell-O. That's always fun, right?

Let me think...do I have any cool links for you today? Maybe



No comments:

Post a Comment