Sunday, October 4, 2009

I don't like 'weeks' as a concept of time management. The reason why is that as soon as a week begins, we're all hoping that it will end so we can get to the 'weekend.' What this means, inevitably, is that we're all rushing gleefully past an enormous chunk of life. And then you're dead. There aren't any more weekends when you're dead (that I know of). Cheery, huh?

Mustard, however, is a perfect food. No, really. And I don't mean that French's shit either. I mean the good stuff. The stuff where you can see the whole grains of mustard. I particularly like it when that mustard has horseradish added to it, to give it a kick. If you've been buying the yellow kind, just stop. Look right beside it on the grocery store shelf, and for a buck more you can have the real deal. If you really want to get your hair blown back, get the Coleman's Dry Hot Mustard. Mix it up the way the box tells you to and go to town. Come back and tell me what you think.

Also, cheese. Arguably the greatest thing that man has ever eaten/created besides wine, chocolate, beer, and bread. I just ate this fantastic Spanish Blue. No, I have no idea what it was called, but it was delicious. However, I don't advise you try to grope anybody after eating this cheese, because you will be unsuccessful. Your breath will stink to high heaven.

As for chocolate, I am constantly stunned by the dark hot chocolate at Burdick's Chocolate in Harvard Square. This is the best I've had ever, and I have drunk every hot chocolate I can get my hands on. If you don't try it soon, you're cheating yourself. Only, get the 'Small' people, 'cause you won't be able to handle anything bigger. Also, if you get it while its snowing (which it will be, very soon), you get, like, a million bonus points.

Oh, and beer of course. This is the time when every microbrewery on the continent comes out with multiple seasonal brews. You know, back in the day they used to pretty much survive on this stuff, because the water was full of nastiness. Trivia. Anyway, the Oktoberfests are tasting delicious right now. My favorite of the moment is Sam Adams, but Harpoon is a close second. Also, you need to try their new line of high gravity beers. If you think you've already tried them all, you're wrong, because they just came out with the Saison Royale. Delicious. Pair this with some Strong English cheese (or the French stuff, something creamy perhaps).

Or you can have some wine. Wine and cheese is classic of course, and my wine region of the moment is Portugal. First of all, I'm not talking about Port. I'm talking about big, delicious, affordable, red wines from grapes you've never heard of. However, you're not going to care what they are after you taste it on a crisp Fall evening with a rack of lamb. I like Panarroz. This is by no means a perfect wine, so don't whine and moan at me if you don't love it. The thing is, you're not going to get a better wine for eight bucks. Remember, we're being frugal here...sometimes.

Bread. The Staff of Life. Just try Iggy's...anything. Great stuff. Available at lots of good grocery stores. Or make your own damn bread with the great beer you bought, all-purpose flour, and baking soda (The double-acting stuff works best). Yeah, that's all you need. Oh, and salt (don't forget the salt). Make some good hard loaves of the stuff, hollow them out a bit and you have trenchers you can fill with your favorite stew. Fantastic medieval entertainment. Oh, and DON'T use an IPA. That makes very bad bread.

What am I reading right now? Well I'll tell you. I'm reading Anti-Oedipus:Capitalism and Schizophrenia. This one is for my thesis. When I know more about it, I'll let you know.

I Bid you Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment